Protecting your home from surges
Something most people don’t think about in their homes is surge protection. During the recent Cyclone Dovi there were a lot of houses in the area without power and we had customers who unfortunately experienced surges and now have issues with some of their devices. A power surge is an increase in the amount of voltage flowing through electrical devices that exceeds the standard voltage level of 240 volts. Surges can be caused by many things such as high-powered devices, bad wiring, or a problem with your incoming supply.
While a surge of power may not break your electronics immediately, it can put extra strain on various components, wearing them down over time. Power surges can heat up wires and components in your electronics, similar to a light bulb filament, and cause them to burn out.
A power surge means that there is an increased level of voltage in the lines beyond the usual designated level of electricity. This excess voltage causes an arc of electrical current which creates heat and surge protection is designed to reduce the effects of these power surges, protecting your electronics.
A surge protector guards against the damage that sudden power surges can cause. It works by pulling the current from one outlet and passing it through to the devices you have plugged into the surge protector.
Surge protection is installed directly at your home’s switchboard to provide protection to all of your appliances, and also to the electronics that are hard wired.
Give the team at Blackout Electric a call and we’ll talk you through the options best suited to your home.