top of page
  • Blackout Electric

Commonplace electrical problems

Commonplace electrical problems can range from a tripped circuit breaker to a faulty outlet or switch. Other issues may include flickering lights, power outages, and electrical surges. It is important to address these problems promptly to ensure the safety of your home and prevent further damage.

Here are some additional tips to help you prevent electrical problems and keep your home safe:

  • Avoid overloading circuits by plugging too many appliances or devices into an outlet.

  • Replace damaged electrical cords and frayed wires immediately.

  • Use surge protectors to protect your electronics from power surges.

  • Install smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors throughout your home.

  • Schedule regular electrical inspections to identify and address potential problems before they become major issues.


Unusual Noises in the Switchboard
Unusual noises in the switchboard can be a cause for concern. They may indicate a problem with the electrical system or the equipment itself. It is important to investigate the source of the noise and address any issues promptly to avoid potential safety hazards. Ignoring unusual noises can lead to more serious problems down the line.

Tripping Breakers & Power Loss
Breakers are designed to protect your property from damage via shutting off the electrical flow to prevent overheating and electrical fires. If too many high amp appliances are plugged into a single circuit, then it will cause the breaker or fuse to blow out. If you observe constant tripping, then it could be due to a short circuit, circuit overload or ground fault.

Electrical Burning Smell
If you can smell an acrid burning smell coming from a light, switch, power outlet or switchboard, then you’ll need to call a registered electrician immediately. These smells generally occur because of the plastic melting or wires being in a poor condition.

Shocking Switches & Outlets
This would likely be caused by switches and outlets that are faulty or damaged, posing a risk of electrical shock to those who use them. It is important to regularly inspect and maintain electrical systems in order to prevent dangerous situations like this. In the event that you encounter a switch or outlet that feels hot to the touch or emits a burning smell, it is important to immediately turn off the power to that area and seek the assistance of a qualified electrician.

Flickering Lighting
This could be caused by a variety of factors. Some possible causes of flickering lights include loose light bulbs or connectors, damaged wiring, voltage fluctuations, and electrical interference from other devices. If you are experiencing flickering lights, it is important to determine the root cause of the issue and address it promptly. This may involve replacing light bulbs or repairing damaged wiring, or you may need to consult with a licensed electrician for more complex solutions. Taking action to address flickering lighting can not only improve the functionality of your home's electrical systems but also enhance the safety and comfort of your living environment.

If you have any of the above concerns then give us a call and we'll be happy to come and check it out.

Common Electrical  Wiring problems in New Zealand


3 views0 comments
bottom of page